Monday, March 23, 2009

exploration: of the world, mind and spirit

I've arrived. Departed from a comfortable yet constricting home, inward hope skewed by outward negativity and a lukewarm lifestyle, I have begun a new journey of days filled with exciting twists and turns and uncharted territory. The hope within me is matched by a display of enthusiasm and radiant joy. The pot of lukewarm water is now boiling over - fueled by a growing flame, I have allowed a suppressed supply of Holy oxygen into my life.

I am eager to share every moment of the past few days but am so exhausted by this refining process that I have little energy left to do so. At minimum, I hope to outline my encounters so that I might elaborate later. I don't want to lose any memories or transformations to the impending return to "paradise," as I have heard our country and lifestyle called.

For now, as it is 1AM back home and only 6.6hrs from a busy day ahead, I'll be brief. Our day yesterday was a blur, travelling from Portland, Maine to Atlanta, Georgia, on to San Pedro Sula Honduras and finally Guatemala. My team of 15 arrived safely in perfect time for a second dinner. (We had fried chicken waiting for us in our bus at the airport!) Crashing early, we barely observed the beauty around us before staring at the back of our eyelids.

Today, we organized 600+ doses of a variety of medicines. Our preparation for the first village, on Tuesday, took us until early afternoon as we were interrupted by trauma in the ER. A motorcycle accident and a woman dying of asthma. We finished up and rode in the back of the emergency truck to a Jurassic Park set...a river and jungle canyon. Paddling up by dugout canoe and floating down lazily, we were wonderfully refreshed. Next, a dip in a sulfur-scented hot pool was in order. Water pounded our backs as it fell from the ledge. Amazingly hot, the volcanic spring water was a real treat.

As we finished up our swim, our host Bryan asked if my best gal Danielle would like to be baptised. Nick and I helped as Bryan dipped her under the warm water, bringing her back up, washed clean of all sin. Nick and Bryan also dunked me as I publicly proclaimed my salvation. What a wonderful day for us all.

I am so blessed to be here. A tearful evening of testimony and reflection...

more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment